The core purpose of The Institute is to improve the academic and personal well-being of boys and girls through research, knowledge translation and application.
From the Headmaster of Knox Grammar School, Scott James
The creation of The Research Institute for Children and Adolescents reflects Knox Grammar School’s on-going commitment to improve the lives of young people.
The School’s vision is for the Institute’s innovative research to lead to real changes to policy and practice, enhancing the wellbeing of boys and girls globally.
The Research Institute's Aims
The Research Institute for Children and Adolescents is a multifaceted not-for-profit research institute with the purpose of optimising the academic and personal wellbeing of children and adolescents. The Institute conducts quality scientific research across a spectrum of areas within our Research Alliance of national and international government and independent schools and Universities, and collaborates with our partner organisations who are leaders in their fields.
The Institute's objectives are:
- To translate the most current research findings to direct practice with a focus on proactive intervention
- To conduct quality research and knowledge translation and disseminate findings nationally and internationally
- To promote and support adolescents as research scientists and engage students in policymaking.
At Knox, Total Fitness represents the holistic academic, social and emotional, spiritual, and physical wellbeing of each individual.
A major aim of Knox Total Fitness is to prepare students fully for the demands of the new workforce and think beyond themselves by developing skills in altruism.
Knox Total Fitness Key Elements
- Aims to increase the mental fitness and resilience of every student
- Every student has an individual mentor who has received expert training in Positive Psychology
- The mentor helps students to identify their strengths and set academic and personal goals
- Knox staff receive training in Positive Psychology
- Students are introduced to activities and exercises scientifically proven to increase levels of wellbeing and performance
- Information and training on Positive Psychology is provided to parents